Tuesday 26 January 2016

SHAG SHAPES





I went out yesterday to a local lake to see if I could find the Shag that has been reported seen there over the last few days.
I spent some time scanning back and forth across the lake with my scope without any success until I heard someone calling from behind me, when I turned around a couple of fellow birders were pointing to a lone bird proudly sitting on a jetty not more than a hundred yards in the opposite direction to which I had been looking!(it wasn't there earlier..'onest!)..... a classic case of 'it's behind you'!

I spent the next 45 minutes or so watching and photographing a largely dozing and motionless bird. It did, from time to time, stir enough to provide a few different photo opportunities....
....in the vernacular of the (much) younger generation it 'pulled a few shapes'. (I think?)


Chillin'

 
Eyeballing

 
 Contemplating..(I bet you can't guess what happened next?)




Amused...(laughing at the silly bu...r who's been standing in the cold wind taking (rubbish) photographs for the best part of the last hour!)

Despite the cold wind it was good to get out and see it, and to notch up a new 'life tick' into the bargain.  

*Just in case you were wondering about the rings on it's legs?...according to them that know, it was rung on the Farne Islands last summer.


 

10 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

You have caught a Shag, lucky man. And it has a ring on one leg, great. Excellent image Trevor.

Douglas Mcfarlane said...

Quite a rare treat to get a Shag inland (insert your own joke) so definitely worth getting cold for. It seemed quite happy to pull a few shapes too lol.
I was reading about the number of Little Auks that had been blown of course over the last few days.

FOREST SNAPPER said...

Its good when a plan works,great that you did get to see it.

peter

holdingmoments said...

I did wonder about the ring, ta.

Good shots of a nice looking bird Trev. Not something we see very often on inland waters.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I am surprised you had never seen a Shag before now at least you saw it and got some shots of it.

ADRIAN said...

It looks an excellent Shag. There are lots of them in the NE and in the SW they live by the sea. I know they have a bit of a topknot. Great to find one inland.

The Herald said...

Bob, it was a good 'catch'...[;o)

Douglas, I thought I did very well to stay away from the jokes and innuendos?...lol
Yes, I was reading about the Little Auks as well, and now it's stranded Whales?...just goes to show that not all of nature is pleasant to see?...[;o{

Peter, it turned out to be a good, if a tad chilly, day...[;o)

Keith, as I'd not knowingly seen one before I thought I should make the effort...lol!
I didn't expect it to be showing so well though...[;o)

Margaret, Living almost in the center of the country I don't often get to visit the type of coastline they prefer so I thought, as this one was so close to home, that I should go and see it. I'm glad I made the effort!...[;o)

The Herald said...

Adrian, it was good that it came to visit, I guess someday I'll manage to see some in their natural habitat?...[;o)

grammie g said...

Hi Trevor... Good for you, a new tick is always exciting. Don't you just hate it when you get outwitted by a bird :).

Grace

The Herald said...

Hi Grace, yeh a good 'tick' for me...sadly, in the end, not a good outcome for the bird...[;o{